Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Small Steps


I had a few wonderful insights today, one being into the truth of how much small steps matter.

Being a stay-at-home mother, my life soars or is a bore depending on my self-discipline. I could spend the whole day in front of the t.v. or over-scheduled running from one place to the other. I really don't like either extreme. Most days I have plenty that needs to be done but nothing scheduled on the calendar. It is up to me what steps I take to get each thing done...and on what I procrastinate.

I've found that with those things I dread doing (several loads of laundry, picking up the miscellaneous kids toys, waking up early to get all of my working out/showering done before getting the kids up, etc), all it takes is one small step to get the job done. If I just swing my feet onto the floor instead of hitting the snooze, then all I have to do is stand up. Once I stand up, all I have to do is walk to the closest. Next thing I know, I'm back home from the bus stop, showered, and ready to go. If I just pick up one toy, it is that much easier to get to the next. And if, at any point in the process, I decide to stop....at least I've done more than I would have if I wouldn't have taken any steps.

I also had a deeper insight about letting go. Without anything on the calendar (see above), there is a deep faith that if I keep moving, doing what I feel needs to be done, life will take care of itself. It will blossom into the passionate path I am to follow to support my soul. If I OVERTHINK (a common faux pas of mine), over plan (spend hours on a to-do list instead of actually doing things), things get done – sometimes – but in a constricted, forced manner. My mind can’t read my soul.

Sometimes, I just have to let go. I have to have the passion, the faith, the constant communication line open with others around me & the goddess within me, letting everyone talk, and get my butt out of the way. Yoga, balance, sleep, good health…all gives me the energy to keep me moving as the winds blow me along so I don’t miss an opportunity.

Today has been a wonderful example of everything above. I had several things on the "To Do" list. If I would have thought about it in the morning, I would have gotten overwhelmed and probably just camped out in front of the computer. Instead, I just put one foot in front of the other. I didn't worry that getting groccery shopping done might be more important than taking recycling so I should probably do that first....I just went. And I got both done.

I've done chores, gone shopping, cleaned the house, ran with Dilana, worked out, paid bills, done the blog (yea!), and come up with some more ideas for art work that I will dive into tomorrow morning. I have a short bit to prepare dinner then we are off to the parent-teacher open house at Tyler's school.
It has been a tremendously productive and inner-rewarding day because I took it step-by-step, and just let go (of expectations, "shoulds", worries, etc). Ahhhh......feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment