Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Playing

With summer here (at least according to our calendar) and both kids at home, we've all been playing.

We're playing with each other, by ourselves, and with our schedules.  We're playing with this change.

We've played my way.


Indiana Vintage Wine Festival
They did have kids' events & tents for those parents they knew couldn't stay away from a wine festival but who simply had to bring their children along.  I promise they didn't have a horrible time.
Not that you would believe that by my son's face.

We've played their way.

at The Splash Pad,
an area maybe 10 minutes from our house that opened last fall. 
We just learned about it today.  Open Fridays-Mondays...and FREE. 
Looks like we just found our new summer hangout.

Day by day, we're figuring out how to play together.

***
As with all things in life, lessons learned in one practice apply to all practices.

With my art and developing vocation, I've been playing.  If I try to take it too seriously, I get frustrated and want to quit.  (Same with the summer...if we try to adhere to much to a schedule or "shoulds", things seem to fall apart.)

So instead of stressing over the lessons I'm getting from Flying Lessons or the FireStarter Sessions or Suzi Blu's Goddess and Poet course...I'm just playing!


making notes for myself on ones I like.
Also...hubby decided to play.
That's his little figure above the top head.


playing with shading and hairstyles with Prismacolor colored pencils

These are all "not exactly right" if I look at them and scrutinize through work eyes.  My mind picks out all the things that aren't right with the final outcome.

But looking through my play mind?  Ah, the process was delicious.  I'm loving just sitting down with a pencil and creating.  My mind revels in all of the things that are right...that I'm doing this (!), that there is beauty in each one, that this is really my life.

***

Each day now, I play.  With the kids, my art, my schedule, my tummy (suck it in. let it out. suck it in. let it out.), my perspectives.

Want to join me?? 
Let me know how you plan to play!

Whee!

9 comments:

  1. Lisa... looks like playing agrees with you. LOVE your son's look. Like we believe it for a minute. Ha! Your drawings are really wonderful. Glad to hear you are having some FUN! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, THANK YOU!!!! I so need to remember all of this - to be taking time to play, to remember all the things I am studying, learning, exploring are meant to enhance my life, not take it over! I too was getting overwhelmed by the glut of wonderful material coming my way ... i am realizing i need to embrace the notion of "organic growth." I think i had a mindset of hot house with extra fertilizers!

    love this Lisa, so happy to have you keeping me sane :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indie Grrrl: T'anks! Oh, I know...my son was just horribly upset. Poor thing. Lis: Your post today inspired ME...so thank you in return!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa!!! These are wonderful! You got it right - just PLAY. Set your mind free and just go with what feels right and try not to scrutinize it too much. They are very beautiful! I LOVE that your hubby played, too. :) Hurray! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa! We were there, too! too fun. Wish we would have seen you. LOVE your drawings.
    hugs, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Theresa I love that your hubby played too... play is good for everyone!

    Oh and I wanted to point you to my latest post on the new blog Empowerment “ronious” style (Its like a Ninja art) just becouse I think you will enjoy it! I think you may have a ronious in your house too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are killing me! I so want to take that class! I don't draw, though. I never really have been good with drawing and quite frankly I do so many other things, I don't really have a strong desire to do so, but these are so gorgeous it makes me WANNA!!! LOL! Can you translate those into sculpted clay faces? 'Cause THAT is something I would have to jump on! LOL! You are doing an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanie: Eggsactly! Thank you!

    Kathy: I'm going to check it out right now. Ok, not right now...but when I finish this. :)

    Jingle: Hah...I WISH I had the lack of desire. My problem is wanting to do TOO much...all of it, really! Um, sculpted clay? Sounds totally cool but I'll leave that work up to you. T'anks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete